Do I need an International Driving Permit to drive abroad?

Driving abroad is easy, because you can use your original driving licence in most of Europe, South Africa, the USA and Canada. If your driving licence isn't in Roman characters (for example, Japanese), or you're hiring in Australia, you will also need an International Driving Permit. Discover whether you need an International Driving Permit for your trip and how to apply on the website. Don't forget to review the terms and conditions when you place the booking, which include everything you need to know ahead of your journey.


Planning a trip? Start your journey.

Already planned a trip? Check your booking.

Avis Budget UK Limited | Registered office: Avis Budget House, Park Road, Bracknell, RG12 2EW | Registered in England (Reg #: 802486)

budget-logo © 2020